Now, this present moment, is all we ever have. Things have occurred and will occur, but they all occur in the now. Sometimes the now isn’t pretty, but trying to deny it exponentially increases the struggle. Instead of denying the present moment, embrace it and decide how you want to move forward with it. Always use the now as a starting point, because it’s exactly where you are and always will be.
“All you really need to do is accept this moment fully.”
Many people are waiting for the perfect moment to take the next step. They delay chasing their dreams because they think a little down the road the timing will be perfect and then, and only then, they will be happy. There will never be a perfect time, there is only now. Many also feel flawed and undeserving of their dreams due to a prior experience. This is your mind, the ego, playing tricks on you to throw in the towel. Don’t; ever.
EXERCISE: “Watch” your mind.
- Relax and let your thoughts stream in
- Resist the urge to react or engage, instead observe without judgment
- Notice the part of you that is watching – this is your enlightened, intelligent self
- You begin to realize that none of these thoughts truly matter
“The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not ‘the thinker.’”
All that matters in life – love, joy, inner peace – will not arrive as thoughts but will arise from beyond the mind when you are entirely in the now. The greatest obstacle is in realizing you are not your mind, which identifies itself through the past and the future; the now is the only place you can achieve anything. Being able to accept the now, which is forever changing, strengthens your ability to flow with the world around you, and in doing so, you thrive.
EXAMPLE: Applying for a job and not landing the position.
- Accept that this is the case: maybe you were meant to learn what areas you need to improve on; maybe you didn’t land the job because if you did you’d miss out on a certain experience or an even better job that will come your way.
- Do not get caught up in a specific form: do not attach yourself to what you want in one specific form. This closes the mind from realizing that your dream work may be manifesting itself in different ways, and you’re too busy searching for it in one place that it slips away.
“All problems are illusions of the mind.”
* All 3 quotes are from The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle*